16 Dec DIY | Gift wrapping paper
Customize your gift wrapping paper
Did you know that in Japan gift wrapping paper is as important as the gift itself? They say that:
“Wrapping a gift = wrapping the heart”
Contrary to the western approach using ‘random’ wrapping paper to hide the present, Japanese choose the style of wrapping paper which harmonizes with the present. By showing how you wrap you express how you feel about the person, the receiver. The gift is marked by mindfulness and consideration. The process of giving, not the gift itself is the most important part.
So why not adding a very personal touch to your gifts? I’ll show you some inspiring ideas to customize your own wrapping paper using brown craft paper. You’re only limited to your imagination! Just follow these simple DIY-steps.
Brown craft paper meets lint roller
Supplies you need:
- craft paint (whatever you have at home)
- lint roller
- foam paper + scissors
- It doesn’t have to be the glue as shown in the picture above.
- Cut out 3-6 shapes matching the season. It’s Christmas time so I guess, little Christmas trees should work well for our purpose :) Of course you’re free to choose other shapes (little hearts, stars, cactus, teddy bears…) Just think about the receiver. Which shape could suit him/her? I’m sure you will come up with a cool idea!
- Add some texture. Any tool with a narrow edge will work fine for this part.
- Glue your different shapes all around your lint roller.
- Here comes the fun part: Use a brush to apply craft paint onto the shapes. AND THEN: SIMPLY ROLL IT! (this action may take a few attempts, but it’s not that difficult, just try it out and surprise yourself ;)
Maybe they won’t look as perfect as you have expected it, but HEY- it’s handmade. You should love the little imperfections!
Want to see more wrapping ideas?
Crazy block printing
- string + tape
- ink pad
- piece of wood (rectangular)
Wrap some string around your wooden block…
‘Doodle wrapping paper’
Let your imagination go wild and use your pen to draw whatever you like. Not that creative? Then make some simple dots, stripes or any easy shapes. Don’t worry , either way, it will look awesome!
I love this cool outdoor marker which has this great”chalky finish”.
If you prefer a more natural look, all you need for this idea is:
- a cosy walk into the woods (your garden or balcony work as well) + pick some foliage (or, you can cut a bit off your christmas tree – psst nobody will notice a couple of missing branches and it smells sooooo good!)
Simply wrap the string around your present in an irregular pattern, make sure it’s quite tight and attach the string to the bottom of the present with some tape. Et voilà, c’est tout. Easy, but pretty!
Have fun customizing your own gift wrapping paper!